What Is Required Before and After Cataract Surgery?
To help you prepare for cataract surgery procedure here is a list of expectations before, during and after treatment.
Before the cataract surgery
- A questionnaire form will be given to you, to help identify your daily activities, how you use your vision and what tasks are becoming more challenging.
- A detailed surgical evaluation, including multiple special measurements will be conducted.
- The eye surgeon will assess your medical needs and discuss the all available options for treatment.
- Pre-operative instruction is given to the patient and must be followed strictly like no food or liquid intake after midnight the day before the actual surgery.
During the cataract removal treatment
- You will be requested to arrive at the surgical center several hours before the scheduled surgery appointment for pre-surgical preparation or speak with the eye surgeon to discuss any questions you may have.
- A mild sedation is given to the patient by the assigned anesthesiologist who will work with your eye surgeon.
- Eye drops will be instilled to the patient’s surgical eye.
- Expect several clinical staff members to be present in the operating room aside your eye surgeon like the anesthesiologist and operating room technicians.
- The estimated time for the actual removal of the cataract and placement of new lens implant is around 10-15 minutes only.
- Patient is brought to the recovery room for some rest.
After the cataract surgery
- The patient will return to the clinic the next day following surgery.
- The eye surgeon will prescribe eye drops to be taken during the healing process.
- Additional follow up visits will be necessary. Typically you will be seen 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 3 months after surgery. These visits may be with the surgeon or your general eye physician.
Potential complications after the cataract eye surgery
- Changes in eye pressure.
- Swelling of the retina (cystoid macular edema).
- Retinal detachment.
Cataract eye surgery is an outpatient procedure and the patient is required to bring a companion or arrange for. Taxi rides home after cataract surgery are not permitted.
Complications can happen even with the safest method. You can limit your chances of complication by choosing most qualified eye surgeon and following all pre/post- operative eye care instructions.