What Is A Laser Eye Surgery Procedure?
A laser eye surgery procedure is a medical approach that uses a special type of laser instrument called “excimer” technology to reshape the surface of the person’s cornea. The purpose of this eye surgery is to correct various refractive problems such as myopia (nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness) and/or astigmatism. The very first laser eye treatment was performed approximately 15+ years ago.
Advantages of a laser eye surgery
- Preserves the eye tissue because the laser used is a “cool” type of laser device that doesn’t burn or harm the eye tissue in general.
- Totally painless due to the local anesthetic eye drops given to the patient prior the surgery for numbing effect.
- The laser beam light and number of pulses emitted directly on the cornea are administered only by a certified laser eye surgery doctor with the specified pulses kept under control through the guidance of a tracker-controlled computer technology.
- Improved vision within hours to days of the surgery.
Common complications of a laser treatment
- Overcorrection or undercorrection which may require another eye surgery procedure (enhancements) for optimum results. This varies depending on the individual’s own tissue healing response.
- Dry eyes symptoms (redness, swelling, sandy or gritty feeling in the eyes), but are all remedied with dry eye therapy, including but not limited to artificial tear solutions and other topical ointments and even prescribed topical anti-inflammatory eye drops.
- Eye infection can happen on rare cases and is treatable with the application of antibiotics, which are routinely used preventively anyway.
- Corneal haze can be the result from a PRK eye surgery especially in patients with a history of keloid formation. These patients should not undergo PRK surgery.
- Sensitivity of the eyes may be experienced after a laser surgery, resulting in glare or halos effect. Night driving may be more difficult in the first few days to weeks after the procedure until healing is more complete.
Why should a patient avail a laser eye surgery?
Among the valid reasons why anyone is recommended a laser eye surgery are as follows:
- Some individuals are too sensitive in wearing contact lenses and eyeglasses (cosmetic reasons or reduced wear time of contact lenses), so the laser treatment is the best alternative solution.
- Patient’s active lifestyle making the wearing of eyeglasses or contact lenses burdensome.
- Certain health issues such as contact lens-related GPC, a specific allergic response preventing the wearing of contact lenses long term.
Are you considering a laser eye treatment as the final remedy for your visual problem? Know all the necessary requirements, plus the available laser eye center that can accommodate your eye care needs and get only the best laser eye surgeon that you can avail to enjoy more satisfying outcome.
Remember, one of the long-term benefits one could get after undergoing a laser eye procedure is an improved visual acuity with the possibility of not wearing prescription eyeglasses or contact lenses. Find a cure for your eyesight disorder and live a normal life.