LASIK Laser Vision Correction
Many patients with refractive problems consider JacksonEye located in the northern suburbs of Chicago. Why? Aside the affordable rates this particular eye center offers, it is also well-known for having a cutting edge facility for the treatment of various visual problems and eye diseases.
Are you still in doubt whether LASIK eye surgery is the right for you? Here is a LASIK eye surgery information guide for your convenience:
What is LASIK Laser Vision Correction?
LASIK surgery is a widely favored refractive surgery treatment because of its high percentage of successful results. LASIK offers visual improvement removing the need for eyeglasses or contact lenses.
How is Laser Eye Surgery performed?
- A complete eye examination will be done prior to the surgery to get a more detailed review of the patient’s present health and eye condition.
- A refraction test is also conducted to check the exact eye prescription of the patient needing correction. This test will measure the level of farsightedness, nearsightedness or astigmatism.
- Another eye evaluation will be advised to get the blueprint of the actual shape of the patient’s eye and done with a device called “corneal topographer”.
- The thickness of the cornea (pachymetry) is also vital before the eye surgery, so that a correct diagnosis will be derived if the patient’s cornea is ideal for LASIK eye surgery.
- Dr. Jackson will also check the overall condition of the retina as well as the inner structure of the patient’s eyes.
- Before the actual procedure, anesthetic eye drops will be put into the patient’s eyes. Other forms of eye drops will also be administered to prepare the eye for the procedure such as antibiotic eye drops to prevent infection.
- The entire area around the eyes will be cleansed with a hygienic cleansing pad. The, patient will be positioned on a reclined chair under a laser, while an eyelid holder will be placed between the eyelids to keep them open.
- The entire procedure may last 5 to 7 minutes per eye and will depend on the visual correction needed by the patient.
- The thin flap is put back in place with no stitches and additional eye drops are given to provide relief and protection on the affected eye.
- Patient is requested to take a 2-3 hour nap when they get home from the surgery.
- Follow-up visits are recommended to the patient for the monitoring of his/her healing progress.
Benefits of the LASIK procedure
- All patients can go home after the treatment and resume back to their normal activities a few days after the doctor’s check-up.
- The laser eye surgery recovery time under a LASIK procedure is faster as compared to other eye surgeries.
- The procedure is considered to be painless and no amount of discomfort will be felt by the patient.
At Jacksoneye, our ultimate goal is to make certain that your LASIK procedure is as effortless and stress free as possible. LASIK requires alternative transportation to our facility, back home and possibly back in for your follow-up. This can sometimes be a tremendous strain on you to find friends and family to get you to and from your surgery.