What Are The Lasik Eye Surgery Requirements?
Knowing what the Lasik eye surgery requirements is a step closer in getting the right eye surgery for your eyesight problem. Remember, not everyone is a suitable candidate for a Lasik surgery. If you’re a resident of Chicago, McHenry, Barrington, Gurnee, Kenosha, Waukegan, Highland Park, Lindenhurst, Antioch, Grayslake and the neighborhoods, you can schedule a consultation in Jacksoneye office in Lake Villa, IL and we’ll do all the necessary tests to determine whether you comply with LASIK eye surgery requirements.
If you live far from Chicago here are some checklists to verify if you possess the qualifications for a successful and safer Lasik treatment yourself:
- Ideal candidates should be 18 years old and above.
- The patient’s current vision should be consistent, meaning his/her eye prescription is same as last year or two years would be the best.
- Free from any eye injuries and infections such as dry eyes, inflammation or retinal disease which could be a risky factor.
- Patient should also be free from autoimmune disorder which generally affects the healing process like the illnesses Lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis.
- Patients are not taking certain medications that may cause possible complications. Be aware if you are currently taking steroids, immunosuppressants, Imitrex, or Accutane, because they may prevent healing after a Lasik procedure. Consult your eye doctor about the medicines you are taking if they will not cause any harmful reactions with this treatment.
- Patients cornea must not be scarred or have abnormal cornea which is due to trauma or aging. Check with your eye specialist if you have Keratoconus where the cornea takes the shape of a rounded cone. Keratoconus can be derived from the following:
- Eye injury.
- Genetic abnormality.
- Eye diseases (retinitis pigmentosa, retinopathy of prematurity, vernal keratoconjunctivitis).
- Systemic disease (Leber’s congenital amaurosis, Ehler’s-Danlos syndrome, Down’s syndrome, Addison’s disease and osteogenesis imperfecta).
- Women must not be pregnant or lactating because the changes in their hormones may affect their overall visual stability.
- Patient’s pupil size must be in considerable size because larger pupils may result to these complications like glare effect, halos or starbursts after a Lasik surgery.
- Patient doesn’t have severe eye refractive disorder over -10 diopter in error.
- Patients must possess enough corneal thickness because during the Lasik procedure the eye surgeon will need to make a corneal flap and having thick cornea is an advantage. If you have thinner corneas talk to your eye specialist for other advanced procedures like advanced surface ablation, LASEK, or PRK.
Additional tips and warnings
Since, the Lasik eye surgery is an elective type of corrective solution for one’s eyesight problem, it is mandatory for a patient to get the best Lasik eye surgeon to do the procedure. Aside from having a qualified eye surgeon, the ideal candidate must also have realistic expectations, full understanding of the possible outcomes and willingness to follow all the post-operative eye care before undergoing this particular eye surgery. Take note also if your profession will become a hindrance from having the Lasik procedure like those who are working in the military, pilots and even professional boxers.